Web Hosting FAQ’s
Frequently Asked Questions
(Click on the to return to the top of the page)
- What is a VirtualDomain?
- Who is theInterNIC?
2a. Which Registry will my new domain name be registered with?
- Can I access my domain address with or without the “www”?
- Do you offer dial-up Internet access?
- Do you handle the domain registration process?
- Can I transfer an existing domain to your servers?
- Can you host a foreign domain such as .de, .au, etc.?
- How long does it take before my domain name is active?
- How do I transfer files to my web site?
- Will I have unlimited access to update my pages?
- Can I use my account for commercial purposes?
- Do you offer tech support?
- How long does it take to set up a new account?
- Can I subdivide my space and resell it?
- Can I have additional domains pointing to the same main page of my domain?
- How much is it for extra traffic, in the unlikely event I use it?
- Are 3rd level domains available (anyname.mydomain.com)?
- Can I register a domain name without selecting a hosting account?
1. What is a Virtual Domain?
A Virtual Domain means having your own domain name (http://www.your-name.com) without having to install expensive server hardware and software. With a Virtual
Domain, you utilize our server’s storage space, however you are still professionally represented via your own personal Internet web address domain name (www.your-name.com) and by your own personal e-mail address domain name (firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. Who is the InterNIC?
The InterNIC is a public information website regarding Internet Domain Name Registration Services and is a part of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers: http://www.icann.org/
2a. Which Registry will my new domain name be registered with?
All new domain names are automatically registered via Enom. You do have the option of using another registry of your choice for new names or if you are transfering from another server by selecting the “Don’t Register Me” option on the account sign up form. The information needed to do so will be provided on request after the sign up process.
3. Can I access my domain address with or without the “www”?
Yes, you will be able to access the domain address with or without the “www” in front of the domain name. Example: [http://www.your-name.com] or [http://your name.com] is acceptable, whichever you prefer.
4. Do you offer dial-up Internet access?
No, you will need local Internet access in order to maintain your web site and retrieve email addressed to your site, such as Cox, Comcast, SNET, etc.
PLEASE NOTE: AOL or any other proprietary service may not allow you to access your FTP.
6. Can I transfer an existing domain name to your service?
Yes. Please keep in mind that registry transfers can take 5-7 days and require your acknowledgement by email, therefore if you have an outdated email address listed for the contact information of your registration you will need to update that information first. You will need to provide us with an EPP or auth code which you need to obtain from your current registrar. While waiting for the transfer process to complete you should keep your current hosting provider to avoid any website down time and can cancel their service once the process is completed. In the mean time you will have access to your new hosting account to upload your website files and created your email addresses
7. Can you host foreign domain names?
8. How long does it take before my domain name is active?
Newly registered domain names typically take 12-24 hours to propagate and respond to your hosting account.
9. How do I transfer files to my web site?
Files must be transferred to the web server via File Transfer Protocol (FTP). You can also use the hosting account file manager to upload files, and most website design software included the FTP ability.
10. Will I have unlimited access to update my pages?
You have unlimited access via FTP 24-hours a day. As such, you can create and maintain your web pages on your own computer and upload files to your web site at your leisure.
11. Can I use my account for commercial purposes?
Yes, you can use your account for commercial purposes as long as our policy is followed.
12. Do you provide tech support?
Yes, tech support is available 7 days a week 24 hours per day, but we encourage our customers in need of assistance to send e-mail to technical support with questions or concerns about their web site, or visit our on-line support area. Help with CGI programming problems are limited to the installed features at this time.
13. How long does it take to set up a new account?
New accounts are generally set up within 20 minutes from the time we receive your order (via credit card payment). Once an account is set up an activation notice will be sent to you via email including your user-ID, password, and FTP hostname. You can begin uploading files to your new web site immediately. Domain account users will be given an IP number to access their site via the web prior to the completion of either domain registration or domain modification.
14. Can I subdivide my space and resell it?
Yes, we do allow you to create sub-directories which you can use to offer friends or clients space as long as its within our policy guidelines. We do not point domain names to sub-directories of accounts nor do we allow any such software creating the same effect. We feel our service is priced competitively so that all domain names may have their own accounts.
15. Can I have more domains pointing to the same main page as my main domain?
Yes, each additional domain name can be pointed to your main account domain name. Mail will also respond to aliased names, however “parked” or aliased names do not have their own mail systems.
16. How much is extra traffic in the unlikely event I need it?
You are given a generous amount of traffic, but in the unlikely event you need more, the charge is $1.00 per gigabyte. You can set your account to send you a notification when you are getting close. This gives you the opportunity to purchase bandwidth or make other adjustments to your account.
17. Are third level (aka subdomains) available (anyname.mydomain.com)?
This hosting option is only available to current customers and domain name registration is not needed.
18. Can I register a domain name without selecting a
Yes, you can register a domain name and have a “Domain Name Only” account. Please contact us for pricing.